Update your listing so that more visitors can discover your listing.
You have created and published a great listing and now you want visitors to see it. How do they find it? Of all the listings available in your area, which ones does the Airbnb algorithm rank higher in search results and why? What can you do to influence the ranking of your listing? Here you will find everything you need to know.
How Airbnb search works
The Airbnb search algorithm uses many factors to determine the order of listings in search results. It is designed to help visitors quickly find places that meet their needs.
The recommendations of the algorithm indicate what it has learned from the millions of searches that have led to bookings in the past. The algorithm also considers specific details provided by the guest, such as the desired destination, previous trips and saved listings. Not all factors are weighed similarly, and you do not need to have a luxurious place or an unbeatable location for your listing to appear in a good position.
4 tips to improve your ranking
Improve your listing
The Airbnb algorithm considers how guests interact with your listing, when guests try to contact you through your listing page, and whether visitors add your listing to their wish lists.
To stir the interest of guests:
- Exhibit a high-quality cover photo that creates a compelling backdrop.
- Describe the unique features of your listing with specific, precise details that inform visitors about exactly what to expect.
- Offer facilities that guests want, such as high-speed Wi-Fi and free parking.
Make your price more competitive
The Airbnb algorithm takes into account your total pre-tax price, including any discounts or surcharges, and compares it to the prices of similar sites in your area. By setting a competitive price, you can improve your ranking, as listings that offer the best value for money in a given area tend to appear higher in search results.
The Airbnb algorithm takes into account the availability of your listing, your query response times, and the frequency with which you accept bookings. The more dates you offer in your calendar, the more likely it is that your listing will meet a visitor’s search criteria and appear in their search results.
Other actions you can take:
- Respond to requests within 24 hours to improve your search results ranking.
- Try not to reject booking requests repeatedly. Although you may occasionally have to reject a booking, frequent rejection of requests can negatively affect your search ranking because visitors are not satisfied with their experience on the platform.
- Use Instant Book so that your listing is displayed each time visitors search for Instant Book listings in your area. Because responses are instant and automatic, Instant Book can also improve your ranking.
- Try not to cancel bookings after you have confirmed them, as this may negatively affect your search ranking.
Become a Superhost
The Airbnb algorithm takes into account whether you are a Superhost or if you meet certain or all of the requirements to become a Superhost. For example, regular bookings on your listing and positive ratings and reviews from guests tend to improve your listing ranking in the results. Guests also have the option to filter their search results so that only listings offered by Superhosts are displayed. In general, if you offer great hosting, you are usually helping to improve the performance of your listing over time.